Wednesday, June 11, 2008

What To Do With the Current State Map.

My last post was about taking the first step on your Lean Journey -- creating a VSM (Value Stream Map). We discussed the current state and collecting data for it. Now let's take a look at the VSM you created and analyze it. There are two most significant numbers to study: processing time and delay, or inventory time. Are you shocked at how much more time is spent delaying vs. processing times? You should be, if you did it correctly.

Scrutinize all the numbers, making sure they pass a "sanity check." The numbers must be accurate and must include getting ready to start a process, such as the operator collecting information about the task, assembling all needed tools, cleaning the machine, and setting up the workpiece. If the VSM passed sanity, compare the non-value added (delay, transport and inspect) time with the process (value added) time. Typical results fall in the range of 10 to 1, up to 50 to 1 or even more. This indicates where to look for huge lead time improvement targets.

Reducing lead time has many benefits, among which are competitiveness against local shops and especially against foreign shops because of the distance and time involved in shipping by boat which can be 5 to 6 weeks or more. Internally, your shop, if you can reduce lead time by one-half you can do twice as much die work in the same calendar time. If your fixed overhead is normally covered by the current state work, your additional "earned lead time" work will generate a higher margin. Also, if you have the shortest lead time you can charge a premium if no one else can meet deliveries of emergency jobs.

Value added vs. non-value added time

The next step is to break down the value added and non-value added
activities (delay is one of them), which can be done with Pareto charts for each type of activity. This will result in two charts and will visually represent the activities that, when improved, will provide the most bang for the buck. Creating a Gantt chart from the VSM will illustrate the relationships of activities to time so you can see how long things really take, especially during non-scheduled times, that is, overnight, holidays and weekends. These charting tools are part of the Visual Factory, a Lean tool and die operation can use to show everyone involved what is happening at your plant. The visuals are much better than looking at tables of data.

Remember that value added time is activity for which the customer is willing to pay. If they don't require machining of non-functional surfaces, leave those surfaces unfinished if possible. Some non-value added activities are necessary, or enabling waste. For example, you have to move the material around the shop, from bench to machine and back, and you need to inspect the work in process to ensure you don't add labor to a piece which has become scrap due to errors in manufacturing it. However, these steps can and must be minimized so the total calendar and labor time can also be minimized.

Manufracturing

No, that's not misspelled; it's a word I coined and have been using for fifteen years or more. There are many levels of manufracturing, but essentially it just means breaking activities down into ever-finer detail. The next step you'll take will be to break the activities in the current state VSM you created into individual maps for each activity that contains many labor and machine hours and/or long calendar times. An example target for this next level VSM could be the die design process or making cutting steels for a progressive or blanking die consisting of drilling, grinding, heat treatment, wire EDMing, and so on. The next level map could focus on the setup of the wire EDM machine, with programming and burning. You don't, however, want to go deeper than second level at this time. You'll have lots to attend to at level two when you get maps done for the most important first level tasks. Ultimately you'll look at feeds and speeds, cutter materials and geometries, and even chatter in more levels of VSMs.

The Future State VSM

In addition to manufracturing, the other step to begin working on is a future state VSM which will entail a lot of work by your teams. The idea here is to innovate all the steps in the first and second level maps, including both value added and non-value added activities. My next post will address application of this critical Lean tool to your shop and office operations. Stay tuned!

7 Comments:

At January 1, 2009 at 6:56 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Hello Gary,

My name is Brian and I have been a tool and die maker for 10 years. What surprises me is that I haven't heard of you or your lean processes until I stumbled across your business when I was job hunting today. I even called you and spoke to you...but that was before I knew who you are. I gotta say...you have caught my attention. I am all about change and trying different things to accomplish tasks to the maximum efficiency. Unfortunately, some of my managers or co-workers are stuck in the their own ways of doing things and I am typically much younger than them and they don't want to change. I am laid off from my current employer, but I would like to still learn more about your tactics. I have e-mailed my resume to you if you would like to contact me. Thanks for taking the time to post your blog!

 
At September 23, 2009 at 10:52 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for the post. It was very informative for new Tool & die users.

 
At April 1, 2013 at 3:49 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Most of the basic goals of Lean Manufacturers systems are common sense, and documented examples can be seen as early as Benjamin Franklin. Poor Richard's Almanacsays of wasted time, "He that idly loses 5s. worth of time, loses 5s., and might as prudently throw 5s. into the river." He added that avoiding unnecessary costs could be more profitable than increasing sales: "A penny saved is two pence clear. A pin a-day is a groat a-year. Save and have."

 
At November 28, 2014 at 7:39 AM , Blogger Powell said...

I would love to learn the art of tool and die making. That is why I will soon take course on CourseRa for this.

Didi Games
Didi Gemes
Didi Games Frozen

 
At March 23, 2015 at 3:05 AM , Blogger Desco Tools said...

I have read more blogs on internet and i must say that this one is good and impressive.


Tap and Die sets

Carbon steel taps

High speed taps

Combined Drill and Countersinks

 
At February 1, 2016 at 9:17 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

yeah i agree so nice,
i recommand it to my friends and i,ll be back again and again visit Tools and dies manufacturers in india for more info.

 
At September 20, 2020 at 7:26 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

“When I was introduced to Mr. Lee Ben ( A Loan Officer), I was entering the market as a first time home buyer.My needs were a bit different and I had loads of questions, before he sent me my pre-approval letter, he called to speak with me about what it meant and what could change. He made himself available to me at pretty much any hour via email and texts, he was very responsive and knowledgeable. He’s also very straightforward, I explained to him what my expectations were in terms of closing time and other particulars. He said he would meet those expectations but he surpassed them. I closed so quickly my realtor and the seller of course were excited about that. But as a buyer I appreciated being walked through the process in a succinct yet thorough fashion. From pre-approval to closing- the journey was so seamless and I consider myself lucky because I’ve heard horror stories about the internet . I recommend A loan officer ben lee contact email: 247officedept@gmail.com & Whatsapp Number :+1-989-394-3740 to anyone looking for a loan in any market. Everything was handled electronically expediently and securely :)”  

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home